Just before the eighties began and new wave music was in its infancy,
there were groups that still had the knack (no pun intended) of combining
rock with pure pop pubescence. The Knack was one of those groups that
enjoyed immense success singing and playing about teenage sexual frustrations.
"Get The Knack" was their first in a string of power pop albums geared
towards kids in high school that could relate to everything they were
singing about. Capitol Records has remastered the group's first four
albums with added bonus tracks for an entirely new generation to discover,
and the older one to rediscover.
This album sold a million copies in a matter of weeks on the heels
of their smash hit "My Sharona." It was one of those phenomena's that
happen once in a lifetime, and the kind of blessing that any group
would welcome. With radio friendly hook filled hits like the teen
anthems "My Sharona," "Good Girls Don't", "Heartbeat," "That's What
The Little Girls Do," and the rockin' (personal favorite) "Frustrated,"
the group scored big every time a single was released. They all pop
off the disc with youthful vitality while sounding sparkling and crisp,
just as if they recorded the tracks yesterday. Thanks to 24-bit remastering
process many groups' catalogs have been given new life. In addition
to the first 12 tracks there are five bonus songs, which are demos
and previously unreleased. The stripped down versions of "My Sharona"
and "That's What The Little Girls Do" are a fascinating look into
how a song is born and sculptured into an album ready cut. A real
learning experience and a lot of fun are found in this music.
I look forward to covering the rest of the remastered albums as well.
After hearing how great this one sounded, I would expect the same
from all the rest of the releases.
Berton Averre - Guitar
Doug Fieger - Guitar
Bruce Gary - Drums
Prescott Niles - Bass
1. Let Me Out (Averre/Fieger) - 2:22
2. Your Number or Your Name (Averre/Fieger) - 2:58
3. Oh Tara (Fieger) - 3:05
4. (She's So) Selfish (Averre/Fieger) - 4:32
5. Maybe Tonight (Fieger) - 4:02
6. Good Girls Don't (Fieger) - 3:09
7. My Sharona (Averre/Fieger) - 4:53
8. Heartbeat (Montgomery/Petty) - 2:12
9. Siamese Twins (The Monkey and Me) (Averre/Fieger) - 3:25
10. Lucinda (Averre/Fieger) - 4:01
11. That's What the Little Girls Do (Fieger) - 2:41
12. Frustrated (Averre/Fieger) - 4:11
* Bonus Tracks
13. Don't Look Back (Springsteen) - 2:21
14. That's What the Little Girls Do (Fieger) - 3:33
15. Maybe Tonight (Fieger) - 4:03
16. I Knew the Bride (When She Used to Rock... (Lowe) - 3:11
17. My Sharona (Averre/Fieger) - 3:58